Wimbledon Open canceled for the first time since World War II

Wimbledon Open canceled for the first time since World War II

The Wimbledon Open, the biggest tennis tournament of the year, has also been canceled due to the Corona virus.

The global outbreak of the Corona virus continues to cancel global activities and sports events around the world, and now the Wimbledon Championship, the biggest tennis tournament of the year, has also been canceled.

This is the first time since World War II that the Wimbledon Open has been canceled.

Wimbledon was scheduled to begin on June 29, and with the change of history after the Olympics canceled, matches were suggested to be held at the vacant stadium.

But the event was ultimately canceled due to the players' refusal to play in the stadium and the possible refusal of the sponsors.

"We very sadly announce that the All England Club's main board and the Championship Management Committee have considered the public health risks caused by the Corona virus," the statement said on the Wimbledon website. The Wimbledon Championship has been canceled.

The 134th Wimbledon Championship will now be held from June 28 to July 11 next year, the statement said.

The Wimbledon administration added in its statement that the health and safety of the public, players, guests, members, staff, volunteers, partners and locals is a top priority in the UK and around the world, ensuring our Wimbledon.

He said that the Committee of Management decided that cancellation of the championship was the best decision keeping in view the health of the people.

In this regard, it was announced that the people who bought the tickets will be refunded soon and will be contacted directly and given the opportunity to repurchase the same day next year.

Wimbledon has been canceled for the first time since World War II and it is likely that the schedule for the Davis Cup matches will be announced soon in November.

Meanwhile, the French Open has been moved from May to September, with many players angrily expressing that the administration has not asked them to comment before moving the event.

The Corona virus originated in Wuhan, China, where more than 3,000 deaths were reported in China alone.

Initially, the virus was restricted to China only, but later it spread rapidly to the Middle East and Europe, and Italy has the highest number of deaths of over 125,000.

So far, 44,264 people have been killed by the virus worldwide, while more than 8 lakh 85 thousand have been infected.

The Wimbledon Open is not the first sports event to be affected by the Corona virus, but it has already canceled several sports events.

All cricket matches have been canceled briefly, while all competitions including the Euro Cup, Copa America and the Olympics have been canceled due to the virus.

Tags

Wimbledon

Related Posts