How to Boil Curly Kale
Kale belongs to the cabbage family. The tasty green leaves of kale can be added to soups and salads or substitute for spinach. If you want to freeze or sauté kale, read this article and learn how to boil it properly.
- Chicken broth
- Garlic cloves
- pink pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
Method 1: Boil the Curly Cabbage in Water
- Wash your kale with cold water. Use about 800g of kale for a standard serving.
- Cut and remove the central stem of the cabbage. Slice the leaves into small pieces.
- Dry the damp leaves in a salad spinner.
- Soak the leaves to soften any dirt.
- Discard the dirty water.
- Wash the leaves again to make sure you remove all traces of impurities.
- Wash the leaves again in cold water. Then dry them as done previously.
- Heat 700ml of water in a saucepan. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to shorten the cooking time of the cabbage.
- For large quantities of cabbage, double the doses of salt and water and use a large enough saucepan.
- Dip the cabbage leaves in boiling water. Press them lightly with a wooden spoon. Bring the water back to a boil using a high flame.
- Reduce the heat and cover the pot. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- If you want to blanch the kale to add to a salad, cook it in water for 2-4 minutes. It should take on a bright green colour. Then dip it into cold water.
- Drain the cooked cabbage. Use it in your favourite recipes.
Method 2: Boil the Curly Kale in the Chicken Broth
- Wash your cabbage. Use cold running water.
- Overlap the kale leaves and cut them in the centre to remove the stem.
- Slice the cabbage leaves into thin strips (about 5mm).
- Dry the cabbage leaves using a salad spinner.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan. Brown a medium-sized onion cut into cubes.
- Add the cabbage leaves (800 g), 2 cloves of garlic and a pinch of pink pepper. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot. The cabbage will need to be almost completely submerged.
- If desired, replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth for a vegetarian dish.
- Use a high flame and bring the broth to a light boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover the pot with the lid. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage or serve it in the remaining broth. Add salt and season to taste. You can eat this dish as a side dish or add it to other recipes.