Afghanistan: US troops killed in Taliban attack

Afghanistan: US troops killed in Taliban attack

KABUL: The Taliban have claimed responsibility for killing a soldier as a result of an attack on US troops in Afghanistan.

 According to the French news agency AFP, the Taliban claimed that several US soldiers were also injured in the attack.

The outcome of the US military's casualties could be the result of ongoing talks between the United States and the Taliban.

Earlier in September, US President Donald Trump cancelled talks after the US military killed a bomb in Kabul.

Negotiations have resumed in Doha, which was stopped as a result of another attack on Bagram Airbase, north of Kabul.

In a WhatsApp message, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the militants had flown an American vehicle in Chardara district of the Afghan province of Kunduz between Sunday and Monday.

He said US and Afghan troops were injured as a result of the attack.

Yesterday, US forces reported that a member of the US service was killed in action.

An American official told AFP that the trooper was inspecting a hidden cache of weapons that exploded.

The official said on condition of anonymity that the soldier's death did not result in an attack that the enemy (Taliban) claimed.

It is to be noted that Kunduz province is located in northern Afghanistan and has repeatedly been attacked by militants who have also been trying to capture Kunduz city.

Deadliest Year


Last year, 20 US troops were killed in Afghanistan this year following the death of a US soldier.

With these casualties, 2019 has been the deadliest year for US troops since military operations officially ended at the end of 2014.

The number of casualties indicates a deteriorating security situation in most parts of Afghanistan.

Since the US-led war in October 2001, nearly 2,400 US troops have been killed in Afghanistan so far.

Tags

News

Related Posts