UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres calls for global ceasefire
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for a global ceasefire in the wake of the Corona virus, saying it is time to lock down the armed conflict and focus our attention on the real threat to our lives.
In a video message, he said, "Our world is facing a common enemy (corona virus) who does not see any nationality, linguistic, sect or religion."
He said that when armed conflict in the world increases, women, children, people with disabilities, migrants have to pay the highest price.
"Among those people, the Corona virus is most likely to be affected by the damage, we must not forget that the health system has been destroyed in war-torn areas," he said.
Antonio Guterres says that "health professionals who are already a very small number are often targeted; refugees and migrants are most at risk now, born with the virus. The situation is clear about how stupid the war is. ”
Today I am calling for an immediate global ceasefire in all corners of the world.— António Guterres (@antonioguterres) March 23, 2020
It is time to put armed conflict on lockdown and focus together on the true fight of our lives – the #COVID19 pandemic.https://t.co/F6JRA6ekvZ pic.twitter.com/7WgtFMk5GC
"It is time for us to lock down our armed conflict and focus on the real enemy of our lives," he said.
He told the warring countries, "Follow the hostilities, put aside the distrust and the hatred, silence the gun cannon, end the airstrikes; this is a very important time to open the avenues of rescue, diplomacy." To open precious doors of hope and to raise hope in vulnerable people. '
"In some parts of the Corona virus, we must learn lessons from the slowly growing unity and talk among rivals, we need it more, end the war and fight the disease that is destroying our world," he said. '.
He added that 'it starts with fighting everywhere, our human family needs it now more than ever'.
Coronavirus is believed to have originated in Wuhan, China, where more than 3,000 deaths were reported in China alone.
Initially, the virus was restricted to China only, but later it began to spread rapidly in the Middle East and Europe.
So far, more than 16,000 people have been killed by the virus worldwide, while more than 322,000 have been infected.
It should be noted that more than 100,000 people have recovered worldwide