Germany: Detained Right-wing group plans to attack mosque
Investigations from members of the right-wing hardline group arrested in Germany last week revealed that New Zealand's mosque was planned to 'surprise' attacks on mosques in Germany.
According to a foreign news agency AFP report, the administration said that 12 people arrested after police raids across Germany have received indications for planning major attacks following an investigation, which has been reported in the media There were also reports that Muslims would be targeted by the group during their prayers.
German Ministry of Interior spokesman Byron Greenwalder told reporters during a press conference in Berlin that "what has been revealed is shocking that so many cells were built here that radicalization would be spread in a short time."
Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokeswoman Stephen Seibert said that 'it is the state and the government's duty to protect free religious activities without discriminating in the country'.
He said that "whatever religious activity we do within our law in Germany, there should be no threat or danger".
According to media reports, the extremist group had planned to use semi-automatic weapons in the style of 51 Muslims who were murdered in New York's Christ Church mosque last year.
The investigators had information about the project from individuals inside the group, the report said.
Authorities knew the alleged head of the extremist group, and its meetings and activities were being monitored and discussed with the colleagues last week about the plan.
According to German newspaper The Daily, the head of the group is about 53 years old and belongs to Augsburg, according to investigators his name is Warner.
Investigators said the operations were launched early on February 14 to assess whether suspects had weapons or other sources that could be used in the attack.
He said 12 people were detained that day, 4 of whom were believed to belong to the group, while the other eight promised to cooperate with them through money and arms.
Northern Home Minister Herbert Revel said all the suspects were Germans, including a police officer who had earlier been suspended because of ties to the right-wing hardline group.
The German newspaper, quoting the policeman, claimed that he was identified as Thorsten W., 50 years old, and also posted his photographs with swords on the online pages.
According to media reports, German authorities turned their attention to secretly active right-wing extremists following the assassination of local politician Walter Lubeck last June.
Similarly, in October last year, an armed attacker in the eastern city of Halea publicly killed two people with improvised weapons.
A spokesman for the Interior Ministry said that the police have identified 50 right-wing extremists as 'dangerous' who can carry out indiscriminate attacks.
German authorities arrest more than 30 people in 2019 in connection with the 'Northern Cross' affected by the Niunazi movement
Login first to Add Comment in this post